Cleaning your bathroom can be a challenge. Between cleaning your kitchen and bedroom, the bathroom often gets neglected. Maybe its because you don't have the time, or maybe you're just a little scared to get down to business. Either way, here are our top tips and tricks to help you save precious time and effort whilst cleaning.
Shower heads tend to accumulate a great deal of hard water deposits and soap scum. These deposits can potentially clog holes and cavities in the shower head, compromising the functionality of the product. So how can we fix this?
- Fill a ziplock bag with white vinegar
- Immerse the shower head in the vinegar
- Use a rubber band or tape to secure the bag to the neck of the shower
- Leak overnight
- This should significantly improve the state of the shower head
Cleaning the shower curtain is surprisingly simple.
- Place in washing machine with two towels. The towels act to scrub away mildew and soap scum on the curtains
- Use a 'gentle' setting
- Add 1/2 a cup of baking soda during the wash cycle
- Add 1/2 a cup of vinegar during the rinse cycle
- Leave to drip dry
Cleaning your bathtub
To keep your tub clean and shiny scrub and wipe down every week. For persistent spots or marks:
- Sprinkle tub with baking soda
- Fill a spray bottle 1/2 with water, 1/2 with vinegar
- Spray the vinegar solution upon the baking soda
- Leave the mixture the bubble
- Scrub with a cloth until it forms a paste
- Leave the paste to sit for 15 minutes
- Wipe and rinse
Because grout is a porous material it is susceptible to bacterial growth. Because of this you should scrub it often. To keep grout free from stains you can use straight bleach and a grout brush to scrub at the dirty areas. You should inspect your grout regularly for cracks and holes, and if you spot any imperfections you can fill these in with more grout.
Cleaning tiles and ceilings
Here is a cheaper alternative to purchasing branded products:
- Make a vinegar solution with 1 part vinegar and 1 part water
- Apply to tiles and ceilings with a cloth
- Turn on the shower and let the hot water run until the steam builds.
- Turn off the shower and leave the room for a 30 minutes
- Wipe down tiles and ceilings with a cloth
Cleaning your toilet
Here is an easy way to make an unpleasant task so much easier.
- Pour a cup of soda into the toilet bowl
- Leave to sit for 5 minutes
- Scrub with a toilet brush
- If you still see spots scrub the bowl with a damp pumice stone which should be abrasive enough to remove most spots.
- Pour boiling water down the drain
- Follow with 1/2 cup of baking soda
- Make a solution that is 1 part vinegar and 1 part water
- Pour 2 cups of vinegar solution down the drain
- Cover with drain plug for 10 minutes
- Finish with more boiling water
Cleaning the ventilation fan
You mightn't have considered this, but it is a good idea to do every so often.
- Flip the circuit breaker
- Remove the cover and soak in soapy water
- Vacuum the fan blades and wipe with a cloth
Always remember to devote time to cleaning your bathroom. Hope these tips and tricks can help you to save time, effort and money.